Invitation for Discussion

Coordinator
Feb 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM

We encourage your perticipation to discuss the features of a file uploader and the features that can be added to make a FileUploader more efficient.

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2011 at 7:51 AM

i think  using silverlight in this stage is making things complex and also causing app to be less usable! i suggest using standard asp.net structures then providing silverlight or any end user gui

i suggest we stars developing a framework for sending and recieving file and in next stage develop some functions for uploading files to famous file sharing websites.

Nima

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Hello Nima,

Yes it's really a very good point, However the problem is, I never found a clean way to read file content using JavaScript or Jquery

• IE Used to have an ActiveX object for reading files
  • I read about a way to give you file system access however it will show an account control dialog It is not something you will like

Another way is to use iframe however a post back will happen at least within the iframe. Then you can monitor the progress using Ajax.

If you know any better way of reading file using JavaScript, please let us know. We can utilize that and remove silverlight

My another point is, Using silver light we can easily encrypt bytes on the fly where as JavaScript will probably be slower to handle such operations.

At this moment it is "less usable!" yes you are right. So I was thinking about encapsulating the Silverlight with in an asp.NET user control class. So that you can drag and drop like any other asp.NET control.

Thank you for your suggestion :), I'll upload my plan tonight then you we can discuss more about it

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2011 at 9:36 AM

that's the point, i think we should not restrict ourselves in browsers , i suggest making a third party app for uploading and in next stages we can develop adds in for browsers! for example we develop a framework which can upload video to youtube with pause and resume abilities then anybody can use this function in their app

another point is that we should not bother much with receivers! because its very uncommon that companies use third party develop receivers for their file uploading services e instead we should develop something which can work with them

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Okay, that's a good point. However every company like youtube or other file or video hosting sites gona have there own protocols to upload files. For example Youtube converts video to flv on the fly. So it's not really a practical job to build an universal file uploader(Don't worry youtube will develop there pause and resume able uploader very soon, I am sure:D). My second point is, file uploader++ was intended to be a asp.NET control that can be used on any webpage that is developed using asp.NET. So you need a receiver like terminal which can serve as an Ajax endpoint. Because you are unable to use FTP here. Therefore i don't see any way to put file on the server other than using something like Receiver.

Surely we can develop something in future that can have much better functionality. Sorry for the delay. I already have drawn the plan so tonight I can send it to you.

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2011 at 8:24 PM

i get it, im looking forward for it

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Hi Nima, here is the file, Please check it :)

Basic plan,Please let me know what you think